My family

My family
Child of God, Mother, Wife, Sister, Daughter, Aunt, and friend

Thursday, September 11, 2008

But the most important of these is LOVE...

I started a new class last night. We are studying the book of Colossians. Although I came in the middle of the study, it blessed me so much last night by coming. I'm sure there are not many people who are not familiar with the "love verses" in the bible. Most likely they were read at their wedding. Although they are not in the book of Colossians, we read them last night because they also pertained to the two verses that we did study.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."



Paul, the instructor in the class had us do a very interesting exercise with this passage. He had us replace the word "love" with our own name, every time it appeared. Pretty convicting, I must admit. But that is what a Christian is supposed to look like. God is love, and as such we are called to emulate that same love in our own lives.


Colossians 3:12-14

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."



It's pretty convicting that without this Godly love in our lives and in our hearts, we cannot EVER obtain any of the other qualities in the verses above: compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, all of which without we would be lost souls. Our teacher spent an hour and a half talking about this, what seems to most, as such a simple concept, but really stressed to us how crucial a thing it was in our daily walk.


Dear Lord,

Help me to love with the kind of love that can only come from you. It is supernatural to love as Christ loves us, but without it in my life, I am lost. Thank you for the undeserved gifts that you give us. For the grace and mercy you show us on a daily basis. I pray Lord that you will keep my eyes, heart and mind centered on you and that I will bring you all the honor and glory you deserve. My life is yours....

In Jesus' precious name I pray,

Amen


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ali,

I love this! I woke up this morning with I Corinthians 13 on my mind, too.

I also thought of the verses in Matthew 22:34-40:

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

I couldn't help but notice the last part that said that the law and the Prophets are dependent or hang on these two commends...to LOVE GOD, LOVE PEOPLE.

Needed that today!! Been a tough week.

Blessings,
Dori

Victoria said...

It's so great that you've started a new class! Sounds like it's already shaping up to be a great source of fruit!