My family

My family
Child of God, Mother, Wife, Sister, Daughter, Aunt, and friend

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Day in America


Written by Leslie Nease of Survivor China

Today is a day when many people have some pretty heightened emotions. Some are excited beyond words because their Presidential pick won the Presidency last night, others are feeling hopeless and like the world is crashing down.
flagI must admit, I haven't been so affected by a voting process since a certain time when I was actually the one whose name was on the ballot. In Survivor, when I was voted off the show in the 3rd episode, I was devastated and I felt as though the world was crashing down. I felt rejected and even a little hopeless initially.


I have learned so much about rejection through my experience. No, my experience is not comparable in status to the presidential election, I realize this, but the principle is the same - man's rejection is God's protection. God allowed Senator McCain to be rejected for a purpose and allowed Senator Obama to win for a purpose. We do not know the purpose but we know our God! He is faithful, even when we are faithless because He cannot deny Himself. (2 Tim 2:14)


The purpose is known only by God and even if it is a purpose of discipline, we can rest assured that God only disciplines those He loves. If the purpose is to prosper us, then the fact that the election doesn't make sense to us shouldn't matter, we should trust His ways, not ours. If it is to teach us a lesson (like the Israelites were taught when they wanted a King and the Lord gave them King Saul) then let us learn! Friends, let's listen to what God is saying, seek Him first and trust Him!


Today, no matter how you are feeling, please don't forget something. Our God is in control! We may have stood in line to cast our vote and let our voice be heard yesterday, but ultimately, God is Sovereign and He has a plan for our country. Jeremiah 29:11 reminds us that God has a plan for us, to prosper us, not to harm us, to give us a hope and future. I can't help but know that even if this election was a huge mistake on the part of the voting Americans, God has a plan. I can rest in that, I can trust in that.


One last verse that I am clinging to this day after the election...Romans 13:1(NLT) "Everyone must submit to the governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God." Did you get that last part? The new President was placed in office by GOD, not the people. He allowed this for His good purpose. We know not what that purpose is, but it's certain. Our job is to submit, but also to stand firm in our values and what we believe to be true.


I don't know who you voted for yesterday but I do know that God knew who would win long before our votes were cast. Today is not a day to feel hopeless, my friends! If you are one of the ones who voted for our new President, today is a day of gladness and hope for you and if your choice for the Presidency lost, it can also be a day of hope and gladness because we can remember that this decision was made by God, not man.


So, rejoice in the Lord always, and again, I say rejoice!
Proverbs 16:31 (MSG) "Make your motions and cast your votes, but God has the final say".

No comments: